[vox-tech] Debian Package Tools

Richard Harke rharke at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 11 21:11:57 PST 2005

On Tuesday 11 January 2005 09:54, Ken Bloom wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 00:24:41 -0800
>
> Richard Harke <rharke at earthlink.net> wrote:
> > On Monday 10 January 2005 22:42, Ken Bloom wrote:
> > > On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 20:19:17 -0800

> > > What package are you trying to do this to?
> >
> > This is glibc for ia64
>
> I'm working with this from the maintainers' svn repository at
> http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-glibc/glibc-package/trunk/debian/?rev=0&sc=0
>
> 1. I checked the build dependancies in debian/control. There's nothing
> in there that looks like a build system. (e.g. dbs or cdbs) This means
> that everything is self-contained in the debian/directory
>
> 2. There is a file debian/rules.d/tarball.mk (debian/rules will include
> this file)
>
> 3. In that file, there is a rule
>
> unpack: $(stamp)unpack
> $(stamp)unpack: $(DEB_TARBALL) $(patsubst %,$(stamp)%,$(GLIBC_OVERLAYS))
>         touch $(stamp)unpack
>
> so you want to run
> $ debian/rules unpack
>
> 4. Now for the patches, there's another file debian/rules.d/dpatch.mk
> (debian/rules will include this file)
>
> It has 2 rules: patch and unpatch
> so you want to run also
> $ debian/rules patch
>
> (If you're doing lots of things with patches, you may find the unpatch
> target useful)
Thanks a lot.
I ran both the unpack and patch targets and now I have the code tree
under the build-tree sub-directory.
A few months back, I played around with this but I sometimes by-passed
the debian procedures and the result was very confusing.
The problem I'm having is that it won't load the libGLcore.so module
for the nvidia driver when I startx. This causes KDE to fail. Since it
involves the nvidia binary only driver, I don't think they will consider
a bug report.
Richard