[vox-tech] SuSE - Debian Swap Conflict

Robert G. Scofield rscofield at afes.com
Fri Jan 7 08:45:30 PST 2005

On Friday 07 January 2005 15:55, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Jan 2005, Robert G. Scofield wrote:
>
> In my experience, the installer prompts you to proceed at each step, and
> offers alternatives.  It does NOT "not go forward unless [some other
> partition] is formatted".  It _does_ offer a default path forward that
> formats succeeding partitions, and you may not have realized that you
> did not have to follow that path.

Once I picked the option that let me do the partitioning, it gave me the list
of partitions already on the machine.  It gave me the option to edit each
one.  I picked /dev/hdb3, and when I went on, it marked both it and /dev/hdb5
for formatting.  I went back a couple of times to try to get out of
formatting the /dev/hdb5 partition, but couldn't do it.

> > 2)  Since SuSE is my main system and Debian is just a training tool, is
> > there some way to re-partition the swap partition in the way SuSE's
> > reiserfs likes?
>
> reiserfs doesn't "like" anything about other partitions... it has no
> opinion on matters outside its partition.  However, fstab may be messing
> you up.

Here's the Debian fstab entry for /dev/hdb5:

/dev/hdb5       none                    swap    sw              0       0

Here's the SuSE fstab entry for /dev/hdb5:

/dev/hdb5            swap         swap       pri=42                0 0

Of course, the SuSE fstab is the only one I'm worried about.

Bob