[vox-tech] Installing subversion from sid into a sarge box

Jay Strauss me at heyjay.com
Wed Jan 5 13:44:34 PST 2005

Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Jay Strauss (me at heyjay.com):
>

>>>However, I'm always surprised at people saying they want to be on the
>>>testing track prior to release, but not afterwards.  Why is that track
>>>desirable today, but not after sarge's relese?
>>
>>I just want the newer stuff, Perl primarily.
>

> You might want to track "testing", then.  More below.
>

>>And since sarge is almost "stable" seems to be the right dist for me.
>

> It's possible that there's a bit of lingering confusion, so please
> pardon my going didactic (er, more didactic ;-> ) on you for a while:
>

> The Debian branches named for Toy Story characters (buzz=1.1, rex=1.2,
> bo=1.3, hamm=2.0, slink=2.1, potato=2.2, woody=3.0, sarge=3.1, and the
> planned etch branch that isn't yet extant) are _starting points_ --
> installable package ensembles -- for Debian systems.  Absent special

Rick,

Thanks for the reply.  Maybe I'll be better served if I say what I'm
trying to accomplish.

I (mostly) write Perl against Oracle, with some apache/mod_perl thrown
in too.

I need the newer version of perl (5.8.4 w/threads), I need the glibc in
"testing" for Oracle (Oracle 10 installs (almost) without hitch on
testing, but very difficult, impossible, on stable).  I'll install
apache2/mod_perl2 also.  Lastly I'd like to have subversion 1.1

Currently, the testing branch, has all that I need, with the exception
of subversion v1.1 (which is currently in unstable).

That said, I'm risk adverse and would like to be on the stable version,
for the duration.  So I'd like to stay a safe distance from bleeding
edge, but have all the above.

I thought the debian maintainers, at some point stop accepting changes
to testing, say "ok, this package set is now stable", and point
everything appropriately.

What I thought I'd do is run testing until the day(s) that it becomes
stable, then make my box follow the stable tree.

Jay