[vox-tech] Dead ethernet on Thinkpad T20

Dmitriy ace22b at myrealbox.com
Mon Jan 3 13:48:14 PST 2005

On Sunday 02 January 2005 04:54, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> Okay, I'm beginning to think the built-in ethernet NIC on this Thinkpad T20
> is dying... but, I'm not a very sophisticated debugger, so hopefully not.

[snip]

> Also, I noticed that neither LED is lighting up on the ethernet jack
> on the back of the laptop.  (I'm not certain whether they would if
> there's no driver 'activating' the NIC.  If a light should be on --
> regardless of software -- when plugged into a live network I guess maybe
> the NIC is, in fact, dead... <:^( )

Most nics only light up after they are initialized by drivers.

> Where do I start to debug this?  Or should I give up and call the NIC dead?
> (It gets tugged on every now and then, which is never a good thing, but
> kinda hard to avoid, I guess. :^/ )  In the meantime, we have both wired
> and wireless PCMCIA cards that'll do, but the built-in is obviously
> preferable.

Check syslog/dmesg for any suspicious messages.

What does mii-tool report?

Are you 99+% sure cable/port is good?

If nic is mini-pci you might be able to just replace it, but not sure about
that.

> I tried booting a Knoppix disc, but unfortunately the only one I have
> seems to be defective. (Read errors, then a nice kernel panic. :^( What
> luck!)

Umm.. Burn a new one?

You guys are big BT users, right ;)

> Thanks. Sorry if this is less than coherent. It's pretty late, as you can
> see. :^)

Sure, Sure!

--
Dmitriy