[vox-tech] Help - Grub error 21

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Feb 23 08:50:38 PST 2005

Quoting Peter Jay Salzman (p at dirac.org):

[travails:]

>    * In BIOS, try setting the IDE list to autodetect.
>
> In other words, "play with it".

Also spelled "ATA is underengineered".

>    * If I want to back off on this, I can revert to WinXP only by booting a
>      DOS disk and doing "fdisk /MBR".  I assume this works even for WinXP
>      (meaning that WinXP uses the same zeroth stage bootloader that Win95
>      did).

(AKA MS-DOS 7.0 with a Windows 4.0 shell).  Which in turn is the same as
the MBR bootloader of many preceding MS-DOS versions.  Yes.  This does
seem to be the case.

And here's an open-source functional equivalent, by the way:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ms-sys/
It's installable into the MBR 446-byte boot area in sector zero from Linux.