[vox-tech] JPGs and the GIMP

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Mon Feb 21 22:11:27 PST 2005

On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 06:13:54PM -0800, Richard S. Crawford wrote:
> I came up against the wall of my ignorance of the GIMP this evening.  I took a
> picture of some nifty storm clouds, and loaded the pic onto my computer so
> that I could crop it and upload it to the photoblog I share with my wife.
>
> I cropped the image, and saved it as a .jpg file.  But look at this:
>
> http://www.stonegoose.com/catseyeview/archives/stormclouds.jpg

Does it look okay when you look at it directly on your PC?  (Before uploading
to a website...)

<snip>
> For what it's worth, I'm also using gFTP to upload the images.

You didn't happen to upload it as ASCII, did you? :)

If you're having problems loading it _on_ your PC (e.g., save it in Gimp,
and then when you load it it looks corrupted), then perhaps there's a
problem with your JPEG library or with The Gimp itself.

Good luck!

bill at newbreedsoftware.com         "I'm anticipating an all-out tactical
http://newbreedsoftware.com/      dog-fight, followed by a light dinner."