[vox-tech] Three Install Questions

Wilson Shealy wtshealy at comcast.net
Mon Feb 21 07:39:47 PST 2005

Hi everyone,

I appreciate all of the great suggestions I've received from this list.  It
seemed appropriate that I should follow up with the practical solution to
my problem,

I never determined what the cause of my boot problem was but I did find a
workaround.  I created a boot floppy and then copied the boot sector of the
boot floppy into the root directory of my XP install as a binary file.  By
pointing the windows installer at this binary file, it will now "boot" into
GRUB which will load my Linux install.

I don't know why this wasn't working when trying to copy the boot sector
directly from the partition.  It may have something to do with the reiser
file system but I really am only speculating.

As for swap space,  I've decided to go with Karsten's suggestion and create
multiple swap partitions.  This way I can mount the additional swap after
adding more RAM (probably next month).

Thanks again for all of the great help!
Wilson Shealy