[vox-tech] An xterm definition of a "word"

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Sun Feb 20 08:59:44 PST 2005

Hi all,

By "word" I mean a set of contiguous non-white space characters that when
you double click on any part of the word, the whole word gets highlighted
and therefore put into the X clipboard.

Right now, my life revolves around double clicking numbers of the form:

   7.0E-14

to put them into the clipboard.  The problem is, periods and minus signs
aren't considered word characters, so 7.0E-14 is actually 3 words: "7", "0E"
and "14".

I've figured out how to make periods and minus signs word characters on
Gnome Terminal, but I can't use Gnome Terminal because it's a heavy
application and I'm already pushing my main workstation to its limits.  My
workstation is doing an admirable job, but this is the first time I've ever
considered one of my computers "underpowered".

Anyone know how to include minus signs and and periods in the list of word
characters for an xterm?  I know it's possible, but if anybody knows how to
do it off the top of their head, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Pete