[vox-tech] Browser speed

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Tue Feb 15 08:27:16 PST 2005

On Tue 15 Feb 05,  5:50 AM, Karsten M. Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com> said:
> on Sun, Feb 13, 2005 at 10:26:57PM -0500, Peter Jay Salzman (p at dirac.org) wrote:
>
> > True.  But I've always said that, in my perception, Opera is the fastest
> > to both begin rendering and finish rendering a typical webpage.
>
> Possibly.  I tried it periodically, but never particularly cared for it.
> Partly it's proprietary.  Partly the widget set, look/feel, and adware.
> Poor use of real-estate.

I understand the proprietary thing.  I think I've made my peace with that.
Adware sucks.  But it gets onto your computer the good old fashioned way.
;)  I paid my $25 bucks, so I don't see it anyhow.

Real estate IS klunky with the ads, but excellent without.  Opera interface
is every bit as configurable as FF.  Probably moreso.

Widget set sucks, but I hate Qt.  Not as much as gtk2, which I think is a
scourge.  But then again, I think MS's widget set (pre XP) is the prettiest
of all.  gtk1 comes a close second.   gtk2 is almost, but not quite, as ugly
as MS XP's widget set.  IMHO of course.

I'll try giving Galeon another chance on my gaming machine -- galeon wants
to pull a whole bunch of things in with it.  Sadly, my main work station is
a little under-powered.  :(

Pete