[vox-tech] a firefox question

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 8 08:07:55 PST 2005

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> On Thu 03 Feb 05, 12:10 PM, Matt Roper <matt at mattrope.com> said:
>
>>On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 10:01:50AM -0800, Jonathan Stickel wrote:
>>
>>>These have been some interesting discussions about FireFox.  One thing
>>>Pete originally complained about that hasn't been discussed is the
>>>opening of new windows when you would rather they would go to another
>>>tab.  This often frustrates me as well.  From what I can tell, this
>>>occurs when some java happy web designer wraps a link with javascript to
>>>open a new window.  Left-clicking on these links opens the content in a
>>>new window, as expected.  Middle-clicking on the link opens a blank tab
>>>with the javascript in the location bar.  Since java code is not a valid
>>>location, nothing opens.  I hope this gets fixed in future versions.
>>
>>I believe the Tab-Mix plugin
>>(http://hemiolapei.free.fr/divers/tabmix/tabmix.html.en) will solve this
>>problem.  It also adds several other useful options for configuring tab
>>behavior.
>

> On my system, this extension noticeably slows down FF!  But on the page for
> tab-mix, there's a reference to another extension called "single window"
> which looks like it does what I want:
>
> http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=290
>
> Pete

I ended up using "Tabbrowser Preferences"
http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/tabprefs
Actually, it was the first I tried, and I am happy with it so far.

The other major issue I've had is getting "mailto" links in Firefox to
use Thunderbird, and getting "url" links in Thunderbird to us Firefox.
The "Launchy" extension didn't work at all.  Instead, a simple solution
is to add some lines to the the "user.js" files for both.  In
~/.mozilla/firefox/default.xxx/user.js, add the line

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.mailto", "thunderbird");

and in ~/.thunderbird/default.xxx/user.js add the lines

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http", "firefox");
user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.https", "firefox");
user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.ftp", "firefox");

Regards,
Jonathan