[vox-tech] Firefox Ctrl-U n text entry field - solved!

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Fri Feb 4 05:58:13 PST 2005

On Fri 04 Feb 05,  2:03 AM, Troy Arnold said:
> On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 04:02:17PM -0500, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >
> > I forgot to list another major annoyance for me: I'm so used to emacs
> > style editing in bash, that ctrl-u is burned into my brain as "clear
> > line".  Unfortunately, it displays the page source on FF.  I've
> > clicked away more page sources than I care to admit.
>
> This has annoyed me for months and months and months.  I've probably
> closed 14,000 unwanted 'view source' windows by now.  Using opera half
> the time where ctrl-u works as expected has effectively prevented my
> brain from learning that it doesn't work in firefox.
> 1) Make sure that /usr/share/themes/Emacs/gtk-2.0-key/gtkrc exists and has
> the bindings you want.
> 2) in ~/.gtkrc-2.0 put:
> include  "/usr/share/themes/Emacs/gtk-2.0-key/gtkrc"

I nominate Troy's post for the "Post of the Month" award.

Thank you!!!  :)

Pete

PS- The reason why I decided to give FF a month is because of a post that
came across opera-linux.  I had suggested making Opera available with
debugging symbols available so that core files that were generated from
Opera crashes could be used by the Opera dev team to fix the bugs.  A
developer mentioned that it was decided not to do this because including
an enhanced symbol table was too close to releasing source code and could be
used to reverse engineer part of their rendering engine.

It kind of pissed me off.  Opera used to be the most stable browser for
Linux.

Hence, my experiment.  I think I might stick with FF until Opera gives me a
reason to come back.  Whatever Opera puts its mind to, it generally does it
better than other browsers.  An Opera adblock would be a reason for me to go
back to Opera.  If they put voice-features into the Linux version of Opera,
that might also make me switch back.  The decision to make debugging
versions of Opera available might make me come back too.