[vox-tech] Four week test of Firefox versus Opera

Micah Cowan micah at cowan.name
Thu Feb 3 19:20:55 PST 2005

Bill Kendrick wrote:

>On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 05:15:13AM -0800, Micah Cowan wrote:
>

>>My current biggest pet peeve about IE's mishandling of things would
>>include its broken support for absolute positioning. Should be relative
>>to the enclosing box, but instead is relative to the window coords. Awful.
>>

>I'm sorry... do you mean, literally, the position of the IE window on the
>screen/desktop!?

Is that surprising? You wouldn't want an absolute element to remain in
the same place on the screen if the window itself had moved... no
browser would do /true/ absolute positioning (and it would be broken
from a CSS POV).

Technically, I actually mean the top-left corner of the display area,
since obviously expanding toolbars and whatnot should shift the entire
display downwards.

What I was trying to say is that CSS's idea of absolute positioning
coordinates is that they are relative to the enclosing block-level
element; whereas relative coordinates are relative to the location at
which the element being positioned would otherwise have been placed. But
IE's idea of absolute positioning is that they are always relative to
the display area's top-left corner.