[vox-tech] Email vs. FAX Security

Micah Cowan micah at cowan.name
Thu Feb 3 05:30:00 PST 2005

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

>>It would seem easy for an ISP's system administrator to use the root
>>password to read the email of the ISP's customers. ( I know I can log in
>>as root on my Linux system and use the "more" command to read my
>>downloaded email.)  Does anybody here believe that ISP system
>>administrator's ever do such a thing?
>>

>Yes, but in the same kind of way that 16 year old McDonalds employees spit
>into the hamburgers (or worse).
>
>It's probably VERY rare.
>
>The statistics are such that it would (probably) NEVER happen to you.

I doubt that it's as rare as you seem to think. In particular, I have
heard enough stories of bosses reading employees' emails to believe that
at least some of them must be true. Especially since a company can be
held liable for sexually harassing or otherwise inappropriate comments
sent over company email: it would probably be unwise /not/ to check
employee e-mails. However, I think it's very unsportsmanly not to at
least ensure that everyone is acutely aware of the public nature of
corporate e-mail.

Also, consider that mail might also be read incidentally by a sysadmin
trying to trace problems with the mail service or a mildly corrupted
mailbox. Or just a BOFH-style sysadmin: I suspect there are plenty with
the BOFH attitude, if not the BOFH skill.

Another case where I personally have read mail not intended for my eyes
is when I have deemed it unacceptable to lose any mail sent to a
particular domain, and have all mail not matching an actual mailbox sent
to me. This helps catch misspellings and other problems, but if the mail
is of a personal nature then I might rather have lost it...