[vox-tech] Four week test of Firefox versus Opera

Micah Cowan micah at cowan.name
Thu Feb 3 05:15:13 PST 2005

Bill Kendrick wrote:

>On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 01:36:22PM -0600, Jay Strauss wrote:
>

>>>3. Rendering is wonderful: pages render more faithfully under FF than
>>>Opera.
>>>

>>I've been using FF for a couple of months on both M$ and Linux and
>>unfortunately I'd have to say the rendering is not so wonderful when
>>compared with IE (at least in my experience) for example when I look at:
>>
>>http://www.sheddaquarium.org/mem_individual.cfm
>>
>>FF smashes the ticket options together, IE has them nice and separated.
>>

>Hrm, as it should.  There doesn't seem to be anything in there that says
>there should be space after the "<ul>...</ul>" list.
>
>The part of the page in question is a table, with /zero/ cellspacing or
>cellpadding, so it's no wonder it's pretty tight in there...
>

>The descriptions of each are within a "<div>...</div>", but the style in
>question ("ltbluetext") simply sets color, font and font size.  Nothing
>about spacing, margins or padding around the enclosed section of text.

The lack of specification of margins does not dictate that margins
should not exist. A portable HTML coder ought to have explicitly set the
margin size desired, rather than rely on the existence of a default
margin on <div> elements.

My current biggest pet peeve about IE's mishandling of things would
include its broken support for absolute positioning. Should be relative
to the enclosing box, but instead is relative to the window coords. Awful.