[vox-tech] multi-language internet-cafe-style linux box

Dave Margolis margolisdm at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 2 11:23:24 PST 2005

Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 11:09:06AM -0800, Dave Margolis wrote:
>
>>1. Change the language settings for the desktop environment.
>>
>>How do I do this programtically (i.e. without going into the KDE
>>language settings in the configuration manager)?
>

> Do it programmatically BY going into the configuration manager.  Well, sorta.
> Check and see if there are any DCOP hooks you can use to tell the environment
> to switch languages.

I've played with DCOP a little in the past and I hadn't thought of that.
  Probably exactly what I need.  I'll look into that.

> (You can also do things like:  "dcop kicker Panel restart" to reload the
> panel, if necessary, to get tooltips to appear in the new language, etc.)

Good tip.  The panel would need to be restarted...there are probably
other similar considerations (things that won't respect the language
change automatically).

> Lemme know if you need help.  I've got a shiny (albeit unstable) new box
> at home running Debian Sarge & KDE 3.3.  I'm happy to poke around when I have
> time in the evenings.  This kind of stuff is quite interesting to me for
> some bizarre reason. :)

Will do, thanks!