[vox-tech] Keyboard not functioning

Henry House hajhouse at houseag.com
Fri Dec 23 19:53:56 PST 2005

På 2005-12-23, skrev Hookand Crook:
> Thanks. Followed your instructions, Henry.
>
> Typing control-alt-F1 BEFORE log-in brought up the screen as you
> described in #2. He logged in, received the shell prompt and the
> keyboard worked as it should.
>
> Typing control-alt-F1 AFTER log-in took him to his regular desktop and
> the keyboard did not function.
>

> Kim

Okay, this confirms that the regular desktop is X, started by a session
manager. I will explain since you said that you are very new to Linux.
Virtually all Linux systems are set up with six virtual consoles, which are
text windows that (usually) do not display any graphics but allow a single
login to a shell. These are accesses using the left alt key together with
F1, F2, etc, ... F6. The graphical interface runs on a seperate graphics
console, which you can think of as number seven because you can switch to it
from one of the six text consoles using alt-F7. A session manager starts the
graphical desktop (X) automatically and many systems comes this way. When
you are in X you need to use control-alt-F<n> to switch consoles; alt-F<n>
alone does not work. The text-mode virtual consoles use the console keyboard
driver, which is seperate from the keyboard driver used by X.

Is there a file called .Xkeymap or something similar in his home directory?
This is a typical location for a custom keymap modifying the operation of
the X keyboard driver. You can find it using "ls -A" from a shell prompt,
which shows the hidden files that start with a dot.

--
Henry House
+1 530 753 3361 ext. 13