[vox-tech] Can't switch to virtual console anymore

Jeffrey J. Nonken jjn_lugod at nonken.net
Thu Dec 22 13:08:04 PST 2005

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 09:03:05 -0800
Ted Deppner <ted at psyber.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 10:45:55AM -0500, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > On Thu 22 Dec 05,  7:21 AM, Ted Deppner <ted at psyber.com> said:
> > Differently how?  Are you able to switch to consoles using the
> > familiar control-alt-functionkey?  Is there a new key sequence to
> > switch?
>
> Same key sequence, but on a laptop I had, you'd loose all video if you
> switched away from the X screen.  Switching back didn't help.  X.org
> for that laptop supported the XV extentions (hardware scaling for
> video ala mplayer) while XF86 did not.

I'm using Xorg on my laptop under FreeBSD 6.0 and I'm not having that
problem.

It does sometimes give me scrambled video when I exit X, but as I'm
usually shutting down then, it's more an annoyance than anything. I
don't recall having that problem switching consoles, but then, I don't
do it much. IIRC if I immediately run startx the problem goes away,
that is, it doesn't persist between modes.

HP Omnibook XE3-GC.

believed to be clean.