[vox-tech] Can't switch to virtual console anymore

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Thu Dec 22 07:45:55 PST 2005

On Thu 22 Dec 05,  7:21 AM, Ted Deppner <ted at psyber.com> said:
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 08:13:39PM -0500, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > 1. My XF86Config does not contain the DontVTSwitch option.
>
> On many systems there may be a XF86Config-4 file now too... that'd take
> precidence in many cases.

I was under the impression it always took precedence.

But yeah, I was being a bit loose in the filename: my file is actually
'/etc/X11/XF86Config-4'.  Made the switch a long time ago.  The only place
'XF86Config', sans '-4', exists is in my old /etc backups.

However, there is a file /etc/X11/xorg.conf which is an exact duplicate of
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4.

> As bill mentioned if you transitioned to x.org's xserver it does behave a
> little differently.

Differently how?  Are you able to switch to consoles using the familiar
control-alt-functionkey?  Is there a new key sequence to switch?

Pete