[vox-tech] gpg-agent issues

Micah J. Cowan micah at cowan.name
Sat Dec 17 10:14:31 PST 2005

On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 10:02:00AM -0800, Richard Crawford wrote:
> I'm trying to get gpg-agent running on my FC3 laptop so that I don't have to
> type in my passphrase each time I send out an e-mail.  Unfortunately, when I
> try to start gpg-agent with the command:
>
> $ gpg-agent
>
> I get the following error message:
>
> gpg-agent: can't connect to '/home/richard/.gnupg/S.gpg-agent': No such file
> or directory
> gpg-agent: no gpg-agent running in this session

<snip>

> When, for kicks and giggles, I try to execute:
>
> $ gpg-agent --daemon
>
> I get this error message:
>
> can't connect to '/home/richard/.gnupg/log-socket': No such file or directory
> GPG_AGENT_INFO=/tmp/gpg-4p6U8v/S.gpg-agent:10175:1 export GPG_AGENT_INFO;
>
> ...even though there is a file in /home/richard/.gnupg called log-socket.
> However, that file appears to be empty.  Also, when I again execute

The error message above looks very fishy indeed: it looks like it's
attempting to read in that entire line, starting with GPG_AGENT_INFO and
ending with the export command, as the /name/ of a file. Try to find out
what is doing that (a miswritten config file somewhere?)

You can use the fuser or lsof commands to find all the processes that
have a given file open: that could come in handy; as could examining the
/proc/<pid> directory of gpg-agent (run with --daemon), and examining
what files it has open.

HTH,
Micah