[vox-tech] printing 4 pages per single page

Henry House hajhouse at houseag.com
Sat Dec 10 08:14:36 PST 2005

På 2005-12-10, skrev Peter Jay Salzman:
[...]
> What I'd really like is some utility that allows me to cut the margins of a
> pdf or ps file.  This would allow me to use a larger scale factor and not
> have the pages overlap each other.
>
> I'm thinking something like gimp's crop tool.  Its "autoshrink" option,
> which auto-crops to a box that *just barely* surrounds the content,  would
> be ideal.  Of course, I can't use gimp on a 100 page postscript document,
> but this is what I'd like to do.
>
> Are there any utilities out there that would:
>
>    1. crop blank margins of a ps or pdf file
>
>    2. crop margin dimensions specified by me (not ideal, but I could take
>       out a ruler and measure the margins myself).

I believe that pstops(1) could do this for you. Good luck figuring out how
to use it, though. ;-)

Re-writing the a postscript file via fixps(1) (which is just a shell-script
wrapper around gs) in my experience usually has the effect of trimming the
blank spaces from the margins. The smarter way would be to call gs directly
using your own custom shell script, but I just use fixps because the
interface of gs is unfamiliar to me.

Besides psnup, another utility for tiling multiple logical pages per sheet
is mpage(1).

I hope this helps!

--
Henry House