[vox-tech] linear algebra: equivalent matrices

Aaron A. King aaron.king at umich.edu
Wed Dec 7 12:05:17 PST 2005

Not sure if I'm understanding your question aright, Peter, but I think you're
asking if the equivalence relation (1) is isomorphic to the equivalence
relation (2).  That is not the case.  If you view a matrix as defining a
parallelopiped in n-space, then the determinant measures the volume thereof.
Now it is easy to have two parallelopipeds which are not congruent but which
have the same volume.

The relation (2) defines a set of equivalence classes which is much finer than
the set defined by (1).  To put it another way, the determinant is only one
of many matrix invariants.  The full set of invariants under the relation (2)
can be summarized in the Jordan form of the matrix.

Apologies for pontificating, especially if I've answered a question you never
asked.

Cheers (and congrats on the Ph.D.!),

Aaron