[vox-tech] Chapters and links within pdf files

Ken Bloom kbloom at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 06:32:15 PST 2005

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> On Sun 04 Dec 05, 10:05 AM, Ken Bloom <kbloom at gmail.com> said:
>
>>Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>When you look at the GDB User's Guide,
>>>
>>>   http://sources.redhat.com/gdb/current/onlinedocs/gdb.pdf.gz
>>>
>>>with xpdf, there's a left nav bar that allows you to choose chapters.  Also,
>>>the TOC contains links to the relevant sections.  The font and layout looks
>>>like tex/latex to me.
>>>
>>>How are the navbar and TOC links accomplished?
>>
>>Both are accomplished simply by including the hyperref package and using
>>pdflatex to create the PDF. You'll also get hyperlinks from \cite{}
>>commands to the appropriate bibliography entry.
>>
>>--Ken Bloom
>>
>>Another tip: I find it useful to include the geometry package in
>>everything so that pdflatex can automatically generate the right size
>>PDF. So my basic LaTeX header (for articles) comes out looking like:
>>
>>\documentclass[letterpaper]{article}
>>\usepackage{hyperref}
>>\usepackage{geometry}
>

> Thanks Ken.  I didn't know about this package.
>
> BTW, the documentation for hyperref says that you should load hyperref after
> you've already loaded all other packages because it redefines many internal
> latex macros.
>
> Also, I've read on comp.text.tex that geometry should be loaded as early as
> possible since many packages depend on various page layout dimensions.
>
> Clearly this hasn't caused any problems for you, but I figured I'd mention
> it.

Thanks for the tip. I probably use different orders everytime I retype
the header. I don't generally use lots of packages, so as long as
hyperref doesn't depend on geometry, I wouldn't have that much trouble
with it.

> Along with amsmath, geometry, and fancyvrb, I think hyperref is in my top
> list of groovy latex packages now.  Thanks!

ooh! fancyvrb looks cool! (getting my code examples into verbatim mode
with a single character, and many other features)

--Ken