[vox-tech] Chapters and links within pdf files

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Mon Dec 5 06:31:11 PST 2005

On Sun 04 Dec 05,  7:12 PM, Matt Roper <matt at mattrope.com> said:
> On Sun, Dec 04, 2005 at 10:05:38AM -0600, Ken Bloom wrote:
> > Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > When you look at the GDB User's Guide,
> > >
> > >    http://sources.redhat.com/gdb/current/onlinedocs/gdb.pdf.gz
> > >
> > > with xpdf, there's a left nav bar that allows you to choose chapters.  Also,
> > > the TOC contains links to the relevant sections.  The font and layout looks
> > > like tex/latex to me.
> > >
> > > How are the navbar and TOC links accomplished?
> >
> > Both are accomplished simply by including the hyperref package and using
> > pdflatex to create the PDF. You'll also get hyperlinks from \cite{}
> > commands to the appropriate bibliography entry.
> >
> > --Ken Bloom
>
> One more thing to note; when I was using the hyperref package last year,
> I noticed that it caused some problems in regular latex (but not
> pdflatex) on the table of contents and table of figures pages (i.e.,
> long section/figure/table names did not wrap properly to a second line).
> I'm not sure if this bug still exists or not, but my solution was to use
> the following at the top of my document:
>
>     \ifx\pdfoutput\undefined    % We're not running pdftex
>         % do nothing
>     \else
>         \usepackage{hyperref}
>     \fi
>
> Hope that helps.
>

> Matt

Good info, thanks!

BTW, whenever I stumble across a latex/tex problem that I find an answer to,
I stash it away in a personal FAQ so I can access it later.  I keep my FAQ
here:

   http://www.dirac.org/tex/

I've been using something I found on freshmeat called odfaq.  I chose odfaq
mainly because I like PHP and having subcategories is really nice.

I've been meaning to make it pretty (it's pretty much stock) and extend
functionality a bit (having a FAQ have multiple categories would be nice).

If any other latex users wanted to collaborate on either markup, content, or
extending functionality, I'd really enjoy that.  It would be both fun and
very useful.  I think I could hack odfaq to be multi-user within an hour or
so.

Pete