[vox-tech] KDE locks system hard with Compaq v2310us

Ken Bloom kbloom at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 07:14:00 PDT 2005

I'm having a problem with my new Compaq Presario v2310us: when Xorg is
configured to use either the "ati" or "radeon" driver, the system will
completely lock up (no keyboard or mouse response) when it tries to
display the first QT widget. This means that KDM (as configured for
kubuntu) will display fine, but when I log in it locks up when it
tries to display the panel, and when I click on one of the menus (for
example to change my session) it locks up when it tries to display the
menu.

I've worked around this problem temporarily by configuring Xorg to use
the vesa driver, but alas, the vesa driver is configured to display in
1024x768, which looks very distorted when it gets stretched to fit the
laptop's screen at 1280x768.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Does anyone have an xorg.conf file
they can share for this model of laptop? I'm using:
bloom at little-cat-a:~$ X -version

X Window System Version 6.8.2 (Ubuntu 6.8.2-10 20050405154308
root at terranova.warthogs.hbd.com)
Release Date: 9 February 2005
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.8.2
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.10 i686 [ELF]
Current Operating System: Linux little-cat-a 2.6.11-1-686 #1 Fri Feb
11 15:59:02 UTC 2005 i686
Build Date: 05 April 2005
        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.X.Org
Module Loader present
OS Kernel: Linux version 2.6.11-1-686 (buildd at mcmurdo) (gcc version
3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-8ubuntu2)) #1 Fri Feb 11 15:59:02 UTC 2005 T

Thanks
--Ken Bloom