[vox-tech] postfix and apache

Charles McLaughlin cmclaughlin at ucdavis.edu
Tue Aug 30 00:03:02 PDT 2005

Matt,

Cylar Z wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I downloaded, compiled, and installed PostFix
> sucessfully. It seems to be able to send and receive
> mail via the "mail" command at the prompt.

I'm no expert on mailservers, but I have to wonder - doesn't your distro
have a postfix package?  Why not use rpm or apt-get?

> Someone mentioned (I think named Jill) that Postfix
> can be configured to work with a third-party client
> like Outlook. Does anyone know how? Jill mentioned
> that it was working fine that way on her system - is
> her admin reachable? I searched through my
> installation guide, the included documentation, and
> the postfix.org website, but I didn't see anything
> about this. I understand this means setting up Postfix
> to operate as an SMTP/POP3 server, but what's the
> method?

Postfix is a smtp server - used for sending mail.  You'll need to
install a pop or imap server if you want to check mail using Outlook.

btw  If you need to use a email program on windows, check out Mozilla
Thunderbird.  It is free/open source. :)

> I'm also trying to figure out why the program insists
> on CC:ing every outgoing message back to the
> originating account. Any clue? I looked through the
> main.cf file and couldn't find a way to disable this.
> Again, this happens when I send mail from the command
> prompt, so I'm wondering if it would do the same thing

I can't help with this.

> I also have a quick question about Apache. The httpd
> daemon is operating on my system and delivers virtual
> domain pages properly. However, it won't recognize
> www.mydomain.com/~user URL's. Any idea why not? Again,
> I couldn't find any help on this.

Make sure you have a directory called "public_html" in your home with
the correct privileges (chmod a+r+x ~/public_html).  Make any files in
public_html world readable (chmod a+r -R ~/public_html).

Start with that.  Let us know if that doesn't help.  Apache does have to
be configured to allow users to host sites in their home directories,
but that is enabled by default most of the time.

> Thanks,
> Matt

Charles