[vox-tech] mysql 4.0 query help

timriley timriley at appahost.com
Mon Aug 29 09:13:31 PDT 2005

From: Dylan Beaudette <dylan at iici.no-ip.org>
Date:  Sat, 27 Aug 2005 19:49:00 -0700

>Hi,
>
>I am having some trouble working out the best way to get my data out of
>a table stored in MySQL.
>
>Here is an example of the table structure:
>+-------+-----------+---------------+
>| muid  | total_pct | codename      |
>+-------+-----------+---------------+
>| CA001 |         2 | argixerolls   |
>| CA001 |         1 | haploxeralfs  |
>| CA001 |         1 | haploxerolls  |
>| CA001 |         1 | vitrandepts   |
>| CA001 |         3 | vitrixerands  |
>| CA001 |        11 | xerochrepts   |
>| CA001 |         1 | xeropsamments |
>| CA001 |        77 | xerumbrepts   |
>| CA002 |         1 | argixerolls   |
>| CA002 |        51 | haploxeralfs  |
>| CA002 |         1 | haploxerolls  |
>| CA002 |        16 | vitrixerands  |
>| CA002 |        21 | xerochrepts   |
>| CA002 |         1 | xerorthents   |
>| CA002 |         2 | xerumbrepts   |
>
>As demonstrated above there are multiple muid values, each with a
>total_pct value. I am interested only in the record which contains the
>highest total_pct value for a given muid value. I have tried using the
>max() function with a group by clause, but this does not accomplish
>what I want. Instead, I get the first record associated with a given
>muid value - as would be expected apparently...

I've been following this thread with interest as there are quite
creative query suggestions. However, I can't help but to see the
straight forward group-by as what will work.

select muid, max( total_pct )
from ca_subgroups
group by muid;

I don't think this would return the first associated record.
What am I missing?