[vox-tech] more security questions (DNS & security thread)

Tenna tenna at dcn.davis.ca.us
Tue Aug 23 09:01:21 PDT 2005

Hi Matt,

We have run postfix on our Debian servers for several years now.  I can
send mail using my pop client on my windows notebook from any internet
connection (such as aol) anywhere is the country.   I am not sure how my
admin configured it to accomplish the smtp part but I know it can be done.
Postfix has served us well.

Jill

At 11:08 PM 8/22/2005 -0700, you wrote:
>Mark:
>
>Thanks for your help. I want you to know that I got
>httpd to start successfully. As per your
>recommendation, I shut off xinetd and some other
>services that were trying to listen on 0.0.0.0 and
>basically crowding out Apache. I just shut off daemons
>one by one that weren't on your "keep" list. I think
>what finally solved the problem was killing something
>called "tux", which makes sense since it is described
>as some kind of httpd-related daemon.
>
>As to sendmail, am I to understand that to run it
>"locally," I'd turn the daemon back on, but close the
>SMTP port on the iptables firewall? Assuming your
>answer to that is "yes," do I also safely assume that
>it's the same way with other services that are to be
>run "locally?" I think that's what you said but I want
>to be absolutely sure, before I risk opening any holes
>in my security perimeter that could be exploited.
>
>Second, I'm interested in adding a mail server that
>actually can communicate with the outside world. I've
>been hearing that sendmail config is hard and that I
>should use PostFix instead. Your opinion please.
>
>Thanks, Matt
>

>"Our nation has defended itself and served the freedom of all mankind. I'm
proud to lead such an amazing country and I'm proud to lead it forward."
- President George W Bush, November 3 2004