[vox-tech] NFS mounting a VFAT filesystem - uid and gid

Marc Elliot Hall marc at hallmarc.net
Tue Aug 23 04:04:53 PDT 2005

On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 09:15:58AM -0700, Ken Herron wrote:
<snip>

Thanks for the suggestions, Ken. After digging a bit more, I discovered
that you were right -- the problem wasn't NFS-related. Rather, "tiny"
was mounting the VFAT file system all wrong... not allowing gid or uid
to be set at mount time. This led to the unexpected behavior on "oracle"
when attempting to mount the filesystem via NFS.

After much munging of /etc/fstab and /etc/exports, I gave up on VFAT and
moved my data, blew away the partition, reformatted it as EXT3, replaced
the data, and, voila! The partition now mounts properly, with the correct
ownership and permissions, via NFS on "oracle". And, I can get to the
data via web browser.

Of course, I still don't know *why* the VFAT -> NFS -> Apache thang
didn't work... Based on all the documentation I'd read, it should have.
Oh well. EXT3 is a superior choice anyway.
--
Marc Elliot Hall
621 River Moss Drive