[vox-tech] NFS mounting a VFAT filesystem - uid and gid issues?

Ken Herron kherron+lugod at fmailbox.com
Wed Aug 17 14:41:25 PDT 2005

Marc Elliot Hall wrote:

 > #make /windows partition owned by user nobody and group webusers
 > /dev/hda4       /windows        vfat \
 > 	rw,user,auto,gid=82,uid=501,umask=000  0       2

Okay, on "tiny", files on the partition should have UID 501, GID 82, and
umask 000. Is that what actually happens?

> However, although the data
> appears to be properly available on "oracle" when I execute
>
> $ mount tiny.hallmarc.net:/windows
>
> the ownership of the directories and files remains slightly off (group
> should be "webusers" based on *my* understanding of the mount options).
>
> $ ls -la /var/www/
>
> drwxrwx---    3 nobody   users       32768 Aug 16 18:30 tiny/

NFS communicates file ownership using UID and GID numbers, not names. On
the host "oracle", what UID is "nobody"? What GID is "users"?

Your "mount" command there looks like it was done as a normal user. If
you perform the mount as root, do the perms come out differently? FWIW,
for ongoing use you're better off using an automounter such as amd,
rather than putting it in fstab.