[vox-tech] replacing firefox 1.0 with firefox 1.06

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Wed Aug 17 10:38:29 PDT 2005

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 12:52:01AM -0700, Chris Horsting wrote:
> I used a script.

So you no doubt downloaded the .tar.gz download for Firefox from the
Mozilla.org website [1], and ran the "firefox" script found inside, right?

Hrm, then hopefully there's an uninstall command or script that they
supplied with it.  I don't use Firefox myself (I use regular Mozilla
Navigator and Mail on WinXP at work) and when I did install it on my
Debian [2] box, I simply used the Debian package for it, so that the
system itself keeps things up-to-date.

(No need to maintain Firefox versions separately from the other 1000s
of packages I have installed. :^) )

Sadly, Firefox's FAQ doesn't seem to cover this question for Linux users. [3]
Via Google I found that back in September of last year, someone asked on
some Fedora forums about whether simply deleting their "/usr/lib/firefox"
will work. [4]  It sounds like it will, but YMMV... especially since that
post was from almost a year ago...

And it was specifically on a Fedora forum, though they did apparently
install from script, and were going to do the same to install a newer
version.  (Since you really haven't given us nearly enough details, I
don't feel I can help in any accurate kind of way :^) )

[1] e.g., here: http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/all
[2] http://www.debian.org/
[3] http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq#uninstall
[4] http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=22380