[vox-tech] USB-DVD burner

David Hummel dhml at comcast.net
Mon Aug 15 16:41:15 PDT 2005

On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 02:04:06PM +0000, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 05:16:33PM -0700, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> > Google shows, though, the "ub" kernel module conflicts with
> > "usb-storage", so it looks like you want to disable "ub" somehow and
> > use "usb-storage" instead.  Maybe try moving "ub.o" somewhere the
> > kernel can't find it and re-run `depmod -a`?
>
> I know under Debian there's a way to blacklist hotplug stuff. (I don't
> recall offhand how or why, but I'm sure Googling for "blacklist" would
> help.) Other distros might do something similar.  (Or hey, maybe it's
> just a hotplug thing. :^) )

To blacklist a module I believe you just add it to
/etc/hotplug/blacklist.  But in the case of ub vs. usb-storage, simply
blacklisting or hiding the ub module won't do.  You actually have to
rebuild your modules after disabling CONFIG_BLK_DEV_UB.

Here's the excerpt from menuconfig (2.6.11 kernel):

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_UB:
This driver supports certain USB attached storage devices such as flash keys.
Warning: Enabling this cripples the usb-storage driver.
If unsure, say N.
Symbol: BLK_DEV_UB [=n]
Prompt: Low Performance USB Block driver
Defined at drivers/block/Kconfig:367
Depends on: USB
Location:
   -> Device Drivers
   -> Block devices

I was experiencing some strangeness (random freezes, i/o errors, etc.)
with ub while using a USB hard drive together with a USB DVD burner.
When I switched to usb-storage, the problems went away and the
read/write performance of the hard drive was much better.

-David