[vox-tech] USB-DVD burner

Richard Harke rharke at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 10 16:29:11 PDT 2005

On Wed August 10 2005 13:58, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> > Richard Harke wrote:
> > > My wife has an external USB DVD reader/writer which I
> > > thought I'd try. I get some lines in dmesg when I power it up
> > > but I can't find it with dvdrecord -scanbus
> > > I have an ATAPI CD burner which works fine. I suspect that its
> > > presence may interfere with the USB model. I've googled until
> > > I'm google-eyed. I found one persons remark that he had it
> > > working fine now, the hard part was determining the /dev
> > > to use. He didn't say what worked, however.
>
> [snip]
>
> Whenever I get a new USB device that doesn't work right away, I do this:
>
> As root, `tail /var/log/messages`, unplug the USB, wait about 5 seconds,
> replug the USB, then `tail /var/log/messages` again.  It should say
> *something* about the device.
>
> If the log says the device is recognized, you just gotta figure out how to
> access the device.  If it says the device is "not claimed by any active
> driver" and there's no "usb.agent ... loaded successfully" message right
> below it, then you need a driver.  You can try google search on the
> message in /var/log/messages to see if anyone else is using the product
> and having problems.  The vend/prod number in /var/log/messages is
> especially important, as it need to be recognized before the USB drivers
> can do anything with it.
>
> -Mark
This is what I get /var/log/messages

Aug  7 22:00:35 clifford kernel: Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
Aug  7 22:00:35 clifford kernel: usbcore: registered new driver usb-storage
Aug  7 22:00:35 clifford kernel: USB Mass Storage support registered.
Aug  7 22:01:41 clifford kernel: usb 5-7: new high speed USB device using
ehci_h
cd and address 13
Aug  7 22:01:41 clifford kernel: usb 5-7: Product: USB 2.0 Storage Adaptor
Aug  7 22:01:41 clifford kernel: usb 5-7: Manufacturer: DMI
Aug  7 22:01:41 clifford kernel: usb 5-7: SerialNumber: 0B0201420777F302
Aug  7 22:01:42 clifford kernel: ub: sizeof ub_scsi_cmd 64 ub_dev 2504
Aug  7 22:01:44 clifford kernel: uba: device 13 capacity nsec 0 bsize 512
Aug  7 22:01:44 clifford kernel: usbcore: registered new driver ub
Aug  7 22:01:44 clifford usb.agent[23477]:      ub: loaded successfully

From reading comments in the driver source modules, it appears
that usb-storage is correct. But I don't know about ub It seems like the
top level should be sg
In any case doing dvdrecord -scanbus comes up empty.

Richard