[vox-tech] Wine on amd64 for 32bit win

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Apr 26 22:47:11 PDT 2005

I'm seem to be quite good at getting myself in way over my head.

The latest project is to install Wine on a 64bit Ubuntu box(Brand New).
I've been following the instructions on
http://www.winehq.org/site/download-deb

and it didn't seem very difficult.
During the --build part I got an error

"checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C
compiler cannot create executables

See `config.log' for more details.

make: *** [configure-stamp] Error 77

Build command 'cd wine-0.0.20050310 && dpkg-buildpackage -b -uc' failed.

E: Child process failed"

My guess is that I'm missing some packages for compiling, but I'm not
familiar enough with this to know.

However in poking around I got a bit concerned by some sites that made
it sound like even if this worked I would end up with a 64bit wine that
wouldn't run 32-bit windows software, and that the work around for this
is to make a chroot 32bit install to run wine inside of. Anyone know if
this is this true, where I should be going next?

Thanks,
Alex