[vox-tech] GUI mail client recommendation

Ken Bloom kabloom at ucdavis.edu
Tue Apr 26 15:24:13 PDT 2005

Troy Arnold wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 11:29:56AM -0400, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
>>Now that I have wireless keyboard, I find myself busy working without the
>>keyboard on my desk for long periods of time.
>>
>>I still love mutt, and it will always be my primary MUA, but I'd like to use
>>something point and clickish for when my keyboard is off the desk.
>>
>>I'm very particular about the tools I use, but if there are any mutt lovers
>>here who also use a point and click MUA, then whatever makes you happy will
>>prolly also make me happy too.
>>
>>Any recommendations?  There seems to be an infinite stream of mail clients.
>

> At one time I played around a lot with Sylpheed.  I liked it.  It is
> highly customizable and fast, but the killer feature for me (at the time
> I was coding something that parsed and processed email attachments) was
> that it would let me easily resend/edit a message, attachments and all.
> It didn't work for me as an everyday MUA because it really only got
> along well with MH mail folders and that didn't play well with mutt.
>
> This was all well over a two years ago, and I see that development is still
> active for the project...

I was using sylpheed-claws-gtk2 and running my own IMAP server as the
backend. The problem I found was that sylpheed-claws-gtk2 doesn't seem
to interoperate with any other applications when using the middle-click
cut and paste. Currently, I have switched to Mozilla Thunderbird (same
IMAP server).

--Ken Bloom