[vox-tech] GUI mail client recommendation

Micah Cowan micah at cowan.name
Tue Apr 26 10:12:20 PDT 2005

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> Micah, before I take the plunge, I need to ask because I think we have
> similar tastes in apps -- why doesn't Thunderbird make you happy?

There have been some very annoying quirks: There have been occaisions
where, for some reason, it doesn't realize that it has already fetched a
shit-load of mail from the past, and redownloads it again. Maybe several
times.

A little more rare: I often leave my Thunderbird going for a couple
weeks, without shutting it down. Every once in a while, it silently
stops fetching my mail, and I don't realize that I'm not receiving
things that have been sent to me.

There's also the dumbed-down configuration.

One thing that is nice, though, is that I can configure it to share the
same mailboxes between Windows and Linux.

Perhaps I will try Kmail next, but I think I may go back to mutt as my
main e-mail client: I never had any problems with it; it always did what
I wanted. It'll be a little clunky to use it in reading HTML messages,
but oh well.

-Micah