[vox-tech] Connecting to port 1433 via 22 RESOLVED

Richard Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Thu Apr 21 08:32:23 PDT 2005

The task was to connect to port 1433 on a remote server running MS SQL Server
via port 22 on a Linux machine that I have SSH access to, and which itself
has access to port 1433.

It was actually pretty simple once I figured it out.  The command, run on my
local machine, was:

$ ssh -f -N -L 10010:S:1433 user at R

where S is the IP address of the SQL Server host and R is the IP address of
the intermediary host.  Then I can use dbbrowser (a nifty Java application I
found somewhere) to connect to localhost:10010, and the connection is
forwarded via port 22 to S.  Then I can provide the login credentials to the
database, and I'm in!  (And yes, I've spoken to my boss, and this is all
okay.)

--
Richard S. Crawford
http://www.mossroot.com