[vox-tech] Connecting to port 1433 via 22 on an intermediary

Richard Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Wed Apr 20 07:02:09 PDT 2005

I'm new to port forwarding, and I thought I had it down.  Apparently I haven't
got it quite yet.

Now that I can use my Linux box at work to connect to our MS SQL Server
database using dbbrowser, I'm trying to figure out how to get to that server
from home over port 22 via an intermediary host.  Graphically, the setup
looks like this:

ME <---port 22---> Linux Server (FC2) <--- 1433 ---> SQL Server (WinNT)

I had administrative privileges on the Linux server in the middle, and SSH
access to it from home.  1433 is insecure and requires no authentication, but
the database needs a login (I have those credentials available to me as
well).  That's fine.  I've used the FC2 computer to connect to port 139 on a
Solaris computer so that I can mount a remote Samba share on my home computer
via SSH, but I can't suss out how to do it this time.

Any hints?

--
Richard S. Crawford
http://www.mossroot.com