[vox-tech] Forwarding SMB through SSH

Richard Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Wed Apr 6 08:10:11 PDT 2005

On my Solaris server at work, I'm running Samba and sharing the web directory
over it so that it can be viewed by the Windows computers at work.  I'd like
to be able to access this share via SSH on my Linux computer at home; is this
possible?  I've enabled port forwarding in the /etc/sshd.conf file on the
Solaris machine, and port 22 is the only port I allow through the firewall to
that server (and even though, port 22 is only accessible from my home IP
address).

I've tried:

# ssh -f -L2001:localhost:139 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx sleep 20000

followed by

# mount -t smbfs //xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/share /path/to/mountpoint -o
user="me",password="myPassword"

but the connection timed out.  When I tried specifying port 2001 in the call
to the remote machine in the mount command, of course, the connection was
denied.  I'm pretty sure I've done this before, but it's been years and I
cannot remember how I did it.

What am I missing?
--
Richard S. Crawford