[vox-tech] mutt and swish (or other indexing systems)

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Sun Apr 3 06:38:52 PDT 2005

So, I've got problems with some really big email archives.  And mutt
bogs heavily opening (or searching) same.

In setting up dwww I've (re)discovered swish++, a file indexing/search
utility.

It's indexed my main inbox (2500 messages) in a minute or so.  I've got
it churning away on my spam archive now (87k+ messages).  There's a few
neat bits, including that swish++ has an email mode which indexes and
allows searching by various header fields, e.g.:

   $ search++ -i Lugod subject = mutt

The really neat bit would be having mutt use swish's index for its own
searching.

Hrm...

Oh jeez....

So I _thought_ I had mutt's header cache working.  Well...  Just having
the hack compiled in isn't enough.  If you don't set "header_cache_ to a
location where the cache is maintained, you don't have it.

In .muttrc:

   set header_cach = <file>

or:

   set header_cach = <dir>

If set to a file, a single cache file is kept for all instances.  If set
to a directory, each Mutt folder gets its own separate cache.  This
allows for finer-grained access and locking.  If you run multiple mutt
instances, typically, in separate folders, do directories.  The cache
itself is a BerkeleyDB file.

Hrm.  So yes, that speeds things up remarkably.  Not sure if the header
cache itself slows things down as maildirs are updated.  I'll report
back on data -- I've got a few big directories ;-)

Peace.

    Microsoft KB:  Cookies Lost After Upgrading to Windows XP.
    [Ed:  WONTFIX:  Feature]
    - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=282850