[vox-tech] Urgent news: Linux may be relicensed

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Fri Apr 1 16:16:38 PST 2005

On Fri 01 Apr 05,  3:10 PM, Henry House <hajhouse at houseag.com> said:
> På fredag, 01 april 2005, skrev Peter Jay Salzman:
> > >
> > > It wasn't. I was almost willing to accept it at first, but even then, I
> > > knew one simple fact: no matter what Linus' intentions might be, it is
> > > legally impossible for him (or anyone else) to relicense Linux as
> > > anything other than GPL. This is because he doesn't own the Linux source
> > > code: only a small fraction of it, basically. That and the trademarked
> > > name "Linux", itself. In order to change the lincese, the entire
> > > community of everyone who ever contributed source code to Linux would
> > > have to agree with the move, which is of course logistically impossible.
> > >
> > > Happy April Fool's Day! :-)
> > >
> > > -Micah
> >
> > Heh.  The prankster speaks.  This morning, I woke up (much earlier than all
> > of you since I'm on the east coast now), and read /. with my morning coffee.
> >
> > There was an article about Brittanica taking over Wikipedia.  The article
> > was _really_ well written.  I became incensed and started planning on how to
> > drum up support for wikipedia.  I went over the main site to see if there
> > was anything I could do to help out.
> >
> > Then I saw the picture of Encyclopedia Brittanica "agents" with semi
> > automatic weapons and combat gear.  At that point, it dawned on me today was
> > April 1st.  That set the gears in motions...
>
> Do you have a URL that you could share? The prank seems to have been taken
> down already.

Yeah.  This had me TOTALLY fooled:

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/04/01/1353234&tid=95

Totaly fooled until I saw this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:April_1%2C_2005/2005_Britannica_takeover_of_Wikimedia

Didn't even dawn on me what day today was.  You know, in an age of ever
commercial holidays, I found myself really enjoying april fool's day.  I
guess today has become a kind of non-commercial holiday for me.  /. has kept
me entertained all day....

Pete