OO.o and graphics (was Re: [vox-tech] openoffice stopped printing)

Henry House hajhouse at houseag.com
Thu Sep 30 10:16:06 PDT 2004

På torsdag, 30 september 2004, skrev Jonathan Stickel:
[...]
> The fact that OO.o does not display imported EPS graphics on-screen is a
> PITA.  However, you can export to pdf where the graphics do show and are
> high quality.

Actually it is worse than that: the exported PDF looks and prints like the
poor on-screen representation in OOWriter, i.e., with very poor quality.

> But this doesn't help much either if your clients need to
> edit your documents, and I suppose Latex is out of the question ;)
>
> I'm curious:  how did you convert EPS to EMF?

Gnuplot outputs EMF directly. However, I also succeeded at conversion using:
'pstoedit -f plot-fig plot.eps plot.fig | fig2dev -L emf plot.fig > plot.emf'.
The conversion caused the lines to homogenize to a constant width --- a
minor disadvantage.  Pstoedit directly supports EMF (my manual page says so)
but my binary does not have that driver compiled in, so I did not test that
method, which surely be superior.

--
Henry House