[vox-tech] Installing a desktop upon my laptop

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Sep 30 10:10:45 PDT 2004

Quoting Bill Kendrick (nbs at sonic.net):

> I've played a little with OS X, and I think that's where this disease came
> from.

Indeed, Apple Computer _is_ precisely where the longfathers of Human
Interface Guidelines (HIG) disease hailed from.  I remember when Apple's
HIG delegation visited the firm I worked for in 1988:

"No, your dialogue boxes must work like _this_."

"On the HP/UX, Solaris, OS/2, and NT, and Windows versions, too?  Our
product is a cross-platform toolkit.  Dialogues like that don't exist on
those platforms, and we're trying to make our runtime run as close as
possible to uniformly across all OSes."

"Doesn't matter."

Incidentally, Karsten:  Your piece "In His Own Words" seemed like such a
fine example of Moen's First Law of Debate" that I've now linked it from
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/lexicon.html#moenslaw-debate1 , as such.