[vox-tech] Problem with crond?

Ken Herron Kherron+lugod at fmailbox.com
Wed Sep 29 15:41:37 PDT 2004

--On Wednesday, September 29, 2004 15:09:07 -0700 "Richard S. Crawford"
<rscrawford at mossroot.com> wrote:

> Ken Herron said:

>> Cron should log every command that it runs through syslog. First thing
>> would be to see if cron is actually launching the command on schedule
>> or not.
>
> According to the system log, the command is indeed being run every five
> minutes.  The PHP script itself is supposed to send out email; when I
> browse to the page using Lynx or Wget or Firefox, the script runs
> properly and I see the results in the maillog.

So, chances are the wget program is actually running. You imply that you
know wget isn't working because you're not getting mail from the PHP
script. If you have access to the web server's access log, it'd be a good
idea to confirm that the web server isn't receiving a request.

Wget has a -o option to write messages to a logfile. Instead of running
it with -q, run it with -o /some/file and see what messages it outputs.

If necessary, you could use strace -f on the cron process long enough to
watch one of these wget invocations.

--
"Grand Funk Railroad paved the way for Jefferson Airplane, which cleared
the way for Jefferson Starship. The stage was now set for the Alan Parsons

Kenneth Herron     Kenneth.Herron at mci.com     v658-5894     916-569-5894