[vox-tech] Problem with crond?

Ken Herron Kherron+lugod at fmailbox.com
Wed Sep 29 14:55:14 PDT 2004

--On Wednesday, September 29, 2004 12:44:24 -0700 "Richard S. Crawford"
<rscrawford at mossroot.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to get a wget command to execute every five minutes.  crontab
> -e looks like this:
>
> */5 * * * * wget -q -O /dev/null http://152.79.198.89/moodle/cron.php
>
> Running the wget command from the command line performs the action
> properly, but it doesn't seem to be happening every five minutes as it's
> supposed to.  I've double checked my crontab command and verified that
> crond is running (with ps) but it doesn't seem to be working.

Cron should log every command that it runs through syslog. First thing
would be to see if cron is actually launching the command on schedule or
not.

In my experience, the usual reason that commands work interactively but
not from cron is that they depend on something in your interactive
environment. Perhaps wget isn't in the PATH that cron uses, or it
requires some environment variable to be set?

--
"Grand Funk Railroad paved the way for Jefferson Airplane, which cleared
the way for Jefferson Starship. The stage was now set for the Alan Parsons

Kenneth Herron     Kenneth.Herron at mci.com     v658-5894     916-569-5894