[vox-tech] Saving a read message to a new folder without it appearing new

Ken Bloom kabloom at ucdavis.edu
Tue Sep 28 10:42:24 PDT 2004

I use mutt as one of my two mailers. When using mutt to check my
email, I occasionally run across spam in my inbox which I promptly
move to a probably-spam folder which is learned every
hour and then emptied into an old-spam folder.

Both mailboxes are in mbox format (I append probably-spam onto
old-spam by using cat probably-spam >> old-spam), and the cronjob for
baynessian learning operates directly on the mbox files. Mutt accesses
the mailboxes over IMAP, because this is the best way I could make my
email clients coordinate with each other.

I have written a macro bound to ^W to move the spam. It is defined as
follows:
macro index \Cw "s=util/probably-spam\n" "Move as spam"

When I run this macro, however, the message shows up as unread in the
probably-spam folder, and since I don't do any processing on the
messages as I cat them onto the end of the old-spam folder, it shows
up unread there too.

How can I make messages appear *read* when I move them, so that I
don't have to go through my old-spam folder later and view them all
and mark them read.

I've also tried
macro index \Cw "\Crs=util/probably-spam\n" "Move as spam"
but that doesn't work either.

--Ken Bloom

"All the spots [of tzarat] that a man sees on others, are his own."
 -- The Mishna, as read according to the Ba'al Shem Tov