[vox-tech] Installing a desktop upon my laptop

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Tue Sep 28 00:06:12 PDT 2004

on Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 12:06:55PM -0500, Jay Strauss (me at heyjay.com) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to preface this, I'm not whinning :)
>
> Since replacing my failed hard drive on my laptop (IBM thinkpad A30,
> model 2652 3CU), I'm really trying to make the switch to a linux destop.
> I've always run Debian for my servers and am most comfortable with that.
> I've never had to worry about sound cards, IR ports, wireless cards...
>
> What I find when I install Sarge, and pick the desktop option is:

OK.  Well, at least Sarge is current.  Which installer did you use?  The
new d-i is supposed to be good.  I have to admit I'm partial to
debootstrap under Knoppix, myself.

> 1) It installs a ton of stuff, that I just don't need now.

Then remove it.

The virtual packages exist to install a lot of stuff.  If you don't want
a lot of stuff, either install things manually, or remove what you don't
need.

FWIW, pretty much any RPM distro kitchen-sinks you, *and* makes it
virtually impossible to remove stuff given dependency hell and poor deps
resolution.
 Gnome...

> 2) it doesn't do a good job of identifying and configuring components.

Rick covered this well, but basically:  traditional Debian installers
*don't* autodetect HW.  Use one that does.

> Examples:
>     a) doesnt identify my video card as ATI

You'd specify this yourself when running 'dpkg-reconfigure
xserver-xfree86'.

>     b) doesn't setup my XFConfig-4 correctly

See above.

>     c) Sound only works if I use KDE first.  That is if I log into Gnome
> after boot I have no sound, if I log into KDE then Gnome I get sound.
> But even then the sound volume controls doesn't work

Sounds like you've got a sound daemon configured but not running.  Have
to admit that sound is one of several areas in which GNU/Linux remains a
black art (the others are fonts and printers).

>     d) The wireless card can't be picked during the install because the
> settings don't last/work after that initial install reboot

Sounds like you're getting different kernel(s) and/or module(s)
configured at boot and later.

Note in general:  getting devices configured is _largely_ just a matter
of listing the appropriate kernel module in /etc/modules.

I have to admit I usually cheat by booting Knoppix, catting 'lsof' to a
file, and making appropriate changes to my system's /etc/modules.  I say
"appropriate" as Knoppix loads a few modules of its own (say, cloop),
which aren't necessary for an installed desktop.

> 3) Its kinda slow.  I'm running a 1Ghz pentium III, 384 MB ram, 5400 rpm
> drive.  It takes something like 10 seconds after I enter my userid into
> GDM before I get my desktop

First question, of course, is:  Compared to what?

GNOME and KDE are kicking off a lot of stuff at startup.  I'd say ten
seconds is pretty quick.  For comparison:

  - WinXP Pro roaming profile login is ~40 seconds to show desktop,
    uncontended, and a couple of minutes if the network's slammed, on
    Toshiba Satellite M10 / A10 systems.

  - WinXP local login is 21 seconds to show desktop, and 40 seconds
    before login-time processes have all launched.

  - XFCE4 time-to-desktop is roughly 10-15 seconds on a 1.7 GHz 1 GiB
    4200 RPM system.

I think you need to learn patience, my boy.

> Maybe I'm picking the wrong distribution to run as a desktop (or I
> hate to say it, maybe I'm spoiled because M$ stuff does all this so
> well).

I'd be interested in what your expectations are.

The other question is:  how often are you logging in?  My current uptime
is ~140+ days, and I think I've restarted X less than a handful of times
in that interval.  Incidentally, APM restore's going to take > 10
seconds in all likelihood, though less time than a full boot.

> So my question is:
>
> Can anyone suggest a route for installing on my laptop that will help
> me detect/identify all the components on my laptop (network card,
> wireless card, ir port, monitor, sound card...), give me a nice slim
> install, and ideally use APT for software administration

I'll refer again to Rick Moen's detailed post in this regard.

Note that installation is a one-time hassle.  Maintenance and upgrades
are a far greater long-term concern, and it's here that Debian shines.
Additionally, a reinstallation is *NOT* necessary for you to get the
system you want.  Asking a few well-placed questions such as "what
drivers do I need for...", "how do I find...", or "is there a
post-installation hardware autodetection tool I can use for Debian",
might get you a lot of mileage.

Actually, I'll ask that last question, because it would be really nice
if there were, and I'm not currently aware of one.  Anyone?

Peace.

    It is better to give than to receive.