[vox-tech] Jumpdrive on Knoppix

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 26 21:30:38 PDT 2004

OK.  On a harddrive install where I have root privileges, I edit the
fstab.  Here is a line for my usb compactflash reader:

/dev/sda1  /mnt/flash   auto     noauto,users     0 0

The "users" flag means that when it gets mounted, the entire filesystem
is owned by the user that mounted it[1].

Another option is to pass "uid=username" option when mounting a vfat
filesystem.  This will also make the entire filesystem owned by "username".

I'm curious:  if your wife is interested enough in Linux to use Knoppix
for work tasks, why not dual boot her computer?

Jonathan

[1]
I now use autofs for mounting/unmounting my detachable devices.