[vox-tech] Sound on the thinkpad [not solved]

Jay Strauss me at heyjay.com
Sat Sep 25 16:26:38 PDT 2004

> You don't understand.  The init script is invoked on
> shutdown to save the mixer settings to a configuration file,
> and on bootup to restore them.  So to see it work, you have
> to run a mixer to enable sound, make sure the init script
> will run on shutdown and bootup, and then reboot.
>
> If you look at the script you should see that it runs
> "alsactl save" and "alsactl restore" on shutdown and reboot,
> respectively.  "man alsactl" for more info.
>
> Cheers,
>
> -- Rod

Sorry my fault, I wasn't clear.  I do know that the stuff in init.d gets
run at startup/shutdown.  I looked thru the alsa script and saw it calls
alsactl.  I just ran "/etc/init.d/alsa stop and start" just to see if
I'd get sound, which I did not.

If I run alsamixer, it gives me the message:
"No mixer elems found"

Thanks
Jay