[vox-tech] Installing a desktop upon my laptop

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 25 12:46:58 PDT 2004

Jay Strauss wrote:
<snip>

>>Other than an unusual bug when trying to dual boot winXP, I've been
>>impressed with Fedora Core 2.  Use apt-rpm type tools to maintain it,
>>and you should be happy.
>

> I'll download Fedora Core 2 tonight and try it.  When you say "apt-rpm
> type tools" do you mean tools that are like apt-rpm or the tools that
> come with apt-rpm?

There are a couple variants, apt and yum to be specific.  I've only used
apt-rpm, specifically the download from http://apt.freshrpms.net/, just
because that was the first I tried, and it worked.  You'll want to
expand your repository list, too.  A google search will bring up a
number of them, but read their docs about which repositories are safe to
mix so you don't end up with a broken system.  Also, I've read you can
specify a repository list to use with up2date, should you choose to use
that tool.  Lastly, check out synaptic as a gui rpm tool.

I actually use Gentoo myself, but I do a lot of Fedora installs for
friends and at Installfests.

Jonathan